Nowadays it seems inconceivable that someone doesn’t know what Facebook is or, worse yet, doesn’t care at all.
Facebook has become the most popular social network of all time and, therefore, a site that has transcended from a simple means of communication to a platform for business, entertainment, Australia Mobile Number news, and even marketing and sales.
Interested in having as much context as possible about Facebook? You are in the right place.
In this guide we will cover all the essential information about Facebook: what it is, what it is for, what its history is, how you can do digital marketing on the platform, how its algorithm works, among other things.
What is Facebook?
Let’s go first with the essentials: what is Facebook?
Strictly speaking, it is an American digital social media platform belonging to Meta Platforms, Inc, which was previously known as Facebook, Inc.
In a slightly more simplified way, Facebook is a social network where you can publish and share audiovisual posts and texts with your contacts (friends).
Facebook’s goal has always been quite simple but complex at the same time: to connect people through the Internet.
However, in the digital age everything is about evolving and adopting new technologies, so little by little this famous social network has ceased to be “simple” and has become a platform with a large number of options.
These are some of the main functionalities and features:
- Wall: This is your profile page, where all the posts you make and share are displayed.
- Chat (Messenger): These are direct —and private— messages, where you can have conversations with your contacts or Facebook pages.
- Friends list: These are all the contacts you added and with whom you can interact.
- Groups: These are spaces for users who share a common interest, that is, it is the place for Facebook communities.
- Fanpages: They are like profiles but focused on commercial accounts or organizations since they offer specific management tools.
- A section specialized in the exchange of goods and services within the platform.
- Applications: These are applications that work on the Facebook platform. These ask you for permissions to access your profile information so that they work better.
- Games: It is the section where the video games that work with the platform are. Most of them are very simple.
- Facebook couples: A section similar to Tinder, where you can meet other users who have similar interests to yours, and who are looking for a romantic partner.